Monday, October 4, 2010

The National Geographic PT. 2

Hello all I’m back again, and as I stated last week this blog will not be about WildAid. Sad, I know seeing as we were just starting to get somewhere; the ice had been broken and it was time for some real deal exploration and expounding. Speaking of expounding, this blog might be somewhat shorter than the rest for the simple fact that I believe that I may have expounded a little too much in my last blog about The National Geographic, or I don’t completely understand the assignment of which I am trying to complete. I believe it is the latter, but no matter, let’s begin.

The National Geographic is a great magazine, and I believe you all should check one out next time you’re at a Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, any store of the like if you’re into that sort of thing. It provides its readers with a great experience, but its audience is very specific. Now, that my endorsement is over, in my last blog I mentioned about what I thought the audience of this magazine might want. I think that I was pretty spot on, but I do believe that there’s a possibility that I may have missed a point or two; okay just one. Along with wanting to be taken on a journey with their reading experience, I failed to mention that the readers want to be educated. They want to learn about the things that they can’t walk around and see. A lot of the smaller articles are about things that most people would know very little about, and they are just used so introduce some interesting facts that you might want to research on your own time a little later. I believe that the smaller articles are something like teasers so you can pick and choose where you educate yourself, while the featured article include almost everything you would ever need to know about a subject while showing you pictures.

I have noticed that the paragraph lengths do not change very much between featured articles and non-featured articles, but the length of the article varies greatly (from one to two paragraphs to 26 whole pages). This goes to show that they expound to the same degree but over a much more narrow scope, so no matter rather you read a smaller article or a full length one you are being both interested, educated, and taken to a place to expand the horizons of your thoughts.

No comments: