Monday, September 27, 2010

Into the Fray! Programs

Sadly I think I may have to end my “Into the Fray!” series a wee bit earlier than expected, and focus on some of these programs that I’ve been reading about. There is a very expansive amount of information residing in the “Programs” section of the website and I believe that it deserves more of my attention than I had, at first, planned to allot it. I will still try to explain some of the other sections to the best of my ability on such short notice (I’m trying to stay on somewhat of a timeline), but then I’m going to spend a lot of time simply discussing a few of the programs that WildAid is hosting, considering that that is the meat of the imperative information on the site. Also, I can inform you all, now, that I am required to upload a post about the magazine I am reading (The National Geographic) at some point next month, so there is a good chance that that will replace me post on WildAid next week. The WildAid post will continue promptly after that post has been taken care of, now on to the topic at hand. I will go ahead and list the other sections of the site and give you all a little information about them, and you can deliberate upon rather you believe you should pay more attention to them or not (my view is probably about to get a little more focused in the near future).

Beyond the “Program” section there resides the Awareness Campaigns, News & Events, Take Action, Store, Donate, and Contact areas of the site. Store, Donate, and Contact are pretty self explanatory; Spend your money, give your money, or request their time…it’s that simple. The Take Action area is actually pretty interesting/ useful but it doesn’t take very much time to explain. It lists opportunities for jobs, internships, tells you how exactly to help, has a recruit-a-friend area, tells you how to be more aware of illegal wildlife trade, and lists how to make yourself useful to cause(on second thought I may come back to this, it’s starting to look more promising). News & Events allows you to see what’s been going on in the WildAid community. Anything that WildAid has been reported in, wildlife updates, and there’s a newsletter archive but it hasn’t been updated recently (in the last two months). Interested in the recent events? This is where you go. Finally on to the programs…

The “Programs” basically lists every area, animal, and country that WildAid is currently involved with. Those are: China, India, The Galapagos, Indonesia, Canada, Sharks and Tigers, basically any place that they own an office plus their vested interest in sharks (almost everything on the main page is about shark fin soup). This area contains the most detailed information you could find. It has, under the umbrella of each program, definitions and descriptions of said program, campaigns for the program, and separate contact information for each program. This is the area that I would imagine pulls in the most followers. It lets you know what they’re doing. I honestly need to do more research, because the amount of links that lead from this one main page tab seems almost endless. On the amount of time I gave myself to research it all I was simply overwhelmed, but I will most definitely conquer this section. By the next time I blog about WildAid I will have a specific purpose with hard facts, and every reason in the world that you should support them. Seeing as I am overwhelmed by all the activity I can’t expect you all to be completely riled up to jump into the fray when you don’t understand exactly what the fray is, and are completely unaware of the size of the war. To make it easier we’ll just fight one battle at a time.

No comments: