Monday, October 25, 2010

Dying to eat shark fins.

Changes

Alright guys, so it’s time I made some changes to the format of my blogs. Why? You ask. Because it’s hard keeping my mind focused long enough to produce some sort of quality literary production of the length that I’m aiming for. I am telling you all this, because basically…I need to know if you like it, rather you approve, or should it be scrapped. Personally I think this will make it easier for everyone to follow my rants, those of the future obviously. But, now that that’s all out of the way I’m sure you’re all interested in some sharks…well at least I hope so because that’s what I’m talking about.

What’s going on with the sharks?

I’m glad you all asked! Because I was ready to tell you, but before I do, let me ask you what is shark fin soup worth to you? That was completely rhetorical of course because if your answer is anything that isn’t akin to “nothing” then you honestly shouldn’t be here. I ask this because some peoples answer is their lives. Yes, that is correct eating shark fin soup now a days can be hazardous to your health, and the worst part of it all is that some people don’t care. It has been recently unearthed that shark fins must be prepared in a cocktail of hazardous chemicals before consumption. Among this roster of delightfully deadly concoctions are industrial grade hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, two things that I’m sure say “Do Not Eat” on the bottles, but then again you shouldn’t eat the shark fins either. To add insult to injury if the shark fins aren’t poisoned, they’re not real! Turns out that shark fins are tasteless. Yes a whole species of animal is being threatened for their tasteless cartilage, and because of this shark fin vendors and restaurant owners sometimes include fake shark fins made of fish glue in their soup. Makes me wonder why they don’t sell all fake shark fins and at least save a few animals.

According to the WildAid article this bleaching process is necessary for the shark fins to be sold and made into shark fin soup. There is a video including an interview of those who do the actual bleaching but it isn’t in English so I think I’ll pass on showing you all that, but here’s the dialog involved between the reporter and a shark fin factory worker.

Reporter: Aren't these shark fins poisonous?
Worker: There's no other way. It's for the riches anyway.
It's non of our business.
The riches most likely take drugs anyway. There's no other way.
Reporter: Does your boss know these are poisoned?
Worker: Everybody know

s.”

If threats of death aren’t enough to quell your voracious shark fin appetites then I don’t know what else there is. The wealthy of Asian countries have always been an adventurous bunch though, eating things like blowfish because they KNOW they could die, it makes eating…exciting I suppose. I’ll stick to my more non-toxic food though.

What is being done about it?

Well that’s the million dollar question isn’t it? There is plenty being done about it on a national level, but it is a difficult situation to end. It depends on the reaction of the people to media the actual passing of legislation, and the willingness of those who purchase the fins to, well, stop purchasing them. Currently WildAid is focusing on putting a damper on demand, so that suppliers will have no need to restock. If this works, when the fins are no longer selling the sharks will have an actual chance at life. They have enlisted China born NBA star, Yao Ming, to attempt to reach out to the Asian countries, primarily China, one of the top shark fin consuming countries world-wide.

You see that? By Ming simply pushing away his cup o’ soup he completed decimated the shark fin trade. If everyone sees this commercial everything will be alright! I wish it were that easy, but along with the awareness campaigns via video WildAid is also utilizing guerilla marketing in the subways of china.

This is my favorite; it’s a shark being shot, and what is that at the center of the shattered glass? That’s right a coin. If you spend one cent on the illegal wildlife trade you might as well have killed the animal yourself. If you’re not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.

No comments: